Answering Whether or Not The Christmas Cactus is Poisonous

Having a plant inside your house does not only contribute in beautifying the area, it also gives a refreshing aura to your place.Many people find it relaxing to see a plant in the middle of the center table, or in any corner of the four corners of the living room.

In this article, we are trying to explain how safe it is to place a Christmas cactus anywhere around your home.Lets try to see if the Christmas cactus is harmful to humans and animals.


Is Christmas Cactus Poisonous To Children or Babies?


Due to its very sensitive features, a Christmas cactus requires an indoor environment. The stems and leaves cannot be exposed to baby-xmas-cacti the sunlight. It should only be stored in a room with constant humidity and limited temperature.

Plants have been one of the world’s poison contributing factors inside the home. Many indoor plants have been found to contain toxins that are harmful to the family’s health.

Now, let’s try to look deeply into the issue of whether the Christmas cactus is poisonous.

The good thing about the Christmas cactus toxicity level is zero. You do not have to worry about the bad effect of the plant to your family’s health. This is one of the non-toxin plants that can be placed inside your home.

Infants are also as sensitive as Christmas cacti; will it not be harmful to them? 

This plant is absolutely free of poisonous elements. So there is nothing to worry about.

But there are times when small children would ingest it while playing. For precautionary measures, place the plant in an elevated area where children cannot reach it. It may not have any poisonous elements but this is not ideal for human consumption.

Are Christmas Cacti Poisonous to Dogs and Cats?

The usual thing to be considered when taking care of an indoor plant is the harm it can cause to your pets. Some pets are eating Christmas cactus. But no report has shown that they have died because of it.


This answers the question on whether or not the Christmas cactus is poisonous. Cats and dogs find plants and flowers so attractive. Though the Christmas cactus is not harmful, it can still cause vomiting when eaten by dogs and cats.cat2


The best thing to do when you have pets inside the house is to make sure that they cannot reach the plant.

What is harmful in having an indoor plant is the use of fertilizer?

This can actually cause poisoning when ingested. Even the smell of the fertilizers can be unsafe for humans. The best thing to do about this problem is to choose a human friendly fertilizer.


Precautionary measures are still recommended


With the facts presented above stating that the Christmas cactus toxicity level is zero, it is still very important to take extra precautionary measures when you are going to place any plants inside your

We should not let our children play with plants by putting it in an appropriate place. Even if it is not fatal for the health of both animals and humans, we should keep in mind that it is still not edible. Eating large amount of these plants can also cause complications to the health.